I share two free e-books with teachers, designed to help you move students forward as readers and writers:
Simplify Feedback contains my best tips for helping student writers in an effective and efficient way.
Teaching Through Conversation offers my tips on helping students improve through face-to-face conferences.
Below you can find all the articles I’ve published on this blog, organized by date:
- September 21 // How do I teach this text? A three-part model
- September 14 // A sample text set to get kids reading a lot
- August 31 // Three Shifts for Better, Engaged Readers
- August 24 // Critic vs. audience: which teacher is best?
- August 17 // How to go from relaxed to relentless
- August 10 // Better Reading Assessments
- July 13 // Less analysis, more craft
- June 29 // No excuses for a culture of readers
- June 22 // Writing and the Energy to Teach
- June 8 // Better Read Alouds [Video]
- May 25 // Better PD (for introverts, too)
- February 23 // My students ignored the reading homework. What should I do?
- February 17 // What happens when two reading teachers compromise?
- February 10 // How to read, write, and think in our noisy teacher lives
- February 4 // We should teach novels because…
- January 20 // The Three Part Lesson That Works with Every Text
- December 1 // How we read digital texts
- November 28 // What is a digital text?
- November 21 // First, Do No Harm: Beware of Teacher-Centered Decisions
- November 8 // Paper or screens: how can teachers choose?
- October 26 // Close Your Tabs: Ideas for Better Digital Fitness
- October 20 // Attention Residue and Our Digital Health
- October 8 // Quick tip: Set clear and simple teacher goals
- October 6 // That moment when your class needs a “reset”
- September 29 // What I said during my talk at Barnes & Noble this week
- September 23 // How to Use “Deliberate Learning” to Improve Your Teaching
- September 15 // “Help! My teaching load is overwhelming…”
- September 8 // This is what happens when teachers TRIP
- September 1 // The Best PD is all in your head
- August 4 // Lessons Learned While Writing Hacking Literacy
- July 15 // Teaching and the art of saying “no”
- February 2 // Stuck in a teaching rut? Make things uncomfortable
- August 10 // How to teach writing by doing less and trusting more
- February 17 // No Fear Peer Feedback
- February 16 // A simple test for your teaching priorities